Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Quilter's Rush and more tiny houses



There is such thing as a quilter's rush and I get mine when I first receive fabric charms for the first time and have a look through. My knees go weak and I can feel my brain synapses buzzing with color and texture and all wonderful things possible with just a simple needle and thread.  I can only compare it to looking in a florists refrigerator and seeing all kinds and colors of fresh cut flowers,  or maybe gazing into a bakery's cake display. I've been prepping my portable house box with all sorts of thrilling fabrics cut out for my next car ride.

Speaking of all things possible with a simple needle and thread, I thought I would share of few items from my sewing room. When my father's mother died when I was a young teenager I inherited her sewing equipment and supplies. It's been at least 20 years and I am still taking needles from her vintage needle packages that look like they are from the 1940s or 1950s. They should last the rest of my life. Perhaps my girls will be inheriting them from me. My other grandmother (who I shared a birthday with) passed away only a few years back and I was lucky enough to inherit her sewing supplies too. My grandmother's father made a  fantastic sewing box for her and for each one of her three sisters from cigar boxes.  I really do consider all of these items treasures that have given me the opportunity to discover a hobby I love.




What sewing tools do you have that mean something special to you?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wauw, what a lovely tiny houses you made! My knees are also weak when I see nice fabrics...

    ReplyDelete