Tuesday, February 25, 2014

English Paper Piecing vs. American Piecing

When it comes to choosing between the two methods, I am very biased, and it isn't because I'm American.
Hand piecing is slow enough, why drag it out with the extra step of cutting out exact paper pieces (yes, I realize you can buy them) and then sewing hundreds, if not thousands of pieces of fabric to or around thousands of pieces of paper.  That takes a huge amount of time, before you can even begin sewing your quilt together. I am a local quilt guild member and every chance I get I am demonstrating the simple old American method. Cut your pieces accurately, draw your seams accurately (or stamp them on, or print them, or trace them) and sew on the line. It's SO much faster.
Did I mention you can drop the entire paper step?
I made a super short tutorial video demonstrating the basics of the American hand piecing method. http://youtu.be/JMYHDZlrWI4 Then I continued it with a few more super shorties...http://youtu.be/4cugqRLbWNU  and here  http://youtu.be/avbSn6oe7WQ.


This quilt was done using the old fashioned method of american hand piecing, not english paper piecing, just stitching on the line and not sewing into the seam allowances.


2 comments:

  1. Looks so quick and easy. It wouldn't have the same strength of epp but for short seams it work fine. I enjoy epp, now using/reusing bought papers and glue basting - very quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would be very quick at drawing the seam lines on. I buy paper pieces and can tack (baste) the fabric pieces on probably just as quick as, if not quicker than, drawing seamlines on. Just through practice. I dont stitch through the papers but tack at the corners, so the thread does not need to be removed to get the papers out afterwards. I can see that printing might be a speedy method to use.

    ReplyDelete